The best part about Thanksgiving is all of the sides. I always love hearing what other families have to eat on Thanksgiving – everyone has their favorite traditions and recipes. Today I am sharing some of my favorite dishes to make and eat on Thanksgiving. Would love to hear what your favorites are on your Thanksgiving table!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 cups of sweet potato, cubbed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons of softened butter
- ½ milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
- ½ chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325º. Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, add water to cover the potatoes. Cook the potatoes over medium heat until tender; drain and mash.
- In a bowl, mix together the potatoes, sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla extract. Transfer to a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and flour. Cut the butter into the mixture. Add in the pecans. Sprinkle this mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toasty brown.
Sauteed Garlic Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add olive oil and green beans. Cook until the green beans are soft.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from heat and toss with salt.
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow pasta
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- 4 cups grated medium sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 325º. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Then add pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directs. Drain and drizzle with olive oil to keep from sticking.
- Grate cheeses and toss them together to mix & divide them into three piles. Approximately 3 cups for the sauce, 1 1/2 cups for the inner layer, and 1 1/2 cups for the topping.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often. Pour in about 2 cups or so of the milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until smooth. Pour in the remaining milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth.
- Continue to heat over medium heat, whisking until thickened to a very thick consistency.
- Remove from the heat and stir in spices and 1 1/2 cups of the cheeses, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1 1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pasta with cheese sauce. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese, then top that with the remaining pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with the last 1 1/2 cups of cheese and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
All recipes are not my own. I found them on the internet!