Summer is almost here, and I’m starting to get back into my pre-baby routine finally! It’s taken me about six months to get used to newborn life, and I’ve started to prioritize my health and wellbeing, which has felt incredible! You all know how much I love my workouts, so being able to sneak one in daily has been life-changing. I notice such a shift in my mood, how I am as a mother and wife, and how productive I am during the day. Growing up as a dancer with a strict schedule, I feel lost when I don’t have one, but I wasn’t hard on myself these past six months since I was going through something new and exciting! Days are so unpredictable with a newborn, and since I don’t have scheduled help every day, it can be challenging to schedule in “me time.” If there is one piece of advice I can give new moms, it’s to be patient with yourself. You will not go “back to normal” right away, and to be completely honest, you probably never will. Your body goes through something so amazing, so appreciate it and give it time. I’m starting to feel like myself again, but that doesn’t mean that I look like I did before Sage. It took me a long time to accept that! I wanted to start working out immediately, but I knew that wasn’t possible. Just remember, your health and wellbeing don’t just revolve around dropping the baby weight! It’s your mental state, your nutrition, sleep schedule, etc. I couldn’t work out for the first month after my c-section, so I prioritized my nutrition, sleep schedule, and mental health through meditation. By the time I started working out, I already felt more like me, and I truly feel like it has helped me get back to a comfortable place with my health. I know we are all in different stages, but I always find it helpful to see what other people’s health and wellness routines are. This is by no means the right thing to do, but this is what works for me! Having a daily plan that you follow each day will make it easier for you to stay on top of your goals – whatever they might be! From cooking healthy recipes to scheduling meditation sessions, read more about what my weekly schedule looks like and how I prioritize my health and wellness throughout the week. Remember, health and wellness aren’t just about weight – it’s everything.
- Wake up, drink hot water with lemon, take my supplements. I start out each morning with a cup of hot water and lemon. It’s said to help boost your metabolism, so I drink it every morning before I eat anything. I also take my daily multivitamin from Ritual. A daily vitamin is SO important and I love Ritual because you don’t have to worry about taking multiple supplements and this one meets you where you’re at and fills in the gaps in your diet. I highly recommend starting a daily multivitamin. My code LINDSAYC10 still works if you’re interested in trying!
- Workout or film new workouts for Move With Linds. I create a weekly schedule that I follow, so I’m always mixing in strength, cardio, and toning. I *try* to work out 5 days a week, but there are definitely days I don’t get to it, so don’t get down on yourself if you can only work out a few times a week. If working out is something new to you, try doing it every other day or at least twice a week. Then you can build up to 5 days a week or even 7 – whatever works for you. I always say to take it slow because you don’t want to burn out too quickly on your health and wellness journey. Especially after having a baby, I could only do 2 times a week max, and then I slowly built up my stamina! Just remember, patience! Write that on a sticky note and place it somewhere you will see every day. It’ a great reminder and will help your mindset as you take on each day.
- Take a hot shower. Sometimes I stay in my workout clothes for the day if I’ll be running errands, but I always wash my face after a workout, take a makeup wipe, and run it on my chest and under my sports bra! During this time, I love to put on a podcast or listen to a guided meditation. For me, I like to be doing something while meditating. Maybe that defeats the purpose, but there is nothing like taking a hot shower and meditating – it’s an incredible feeling! Meditating has helped me out so much over the past six months, and I highly recommend it! Calm has a lot of options for you to listen to!
- Wake up Sagey, and snuggles. We normally get back into bed or lay on the couch and play together for a bit before starting my day. Every day is different, and sometimes I have many meetings or have appointments I have to get to, but I always dedicate my mornings to just me and Sage.
- Breakfast time! The most important meal of the day – IMO! I like to make a dairy-free yogurt bowl with berries and granola or a Daily Harvest Smoothie (use LINDSAY25). Make sure you don’t skip breakfast! I snack and binge less when I have breakfast. After breakfast, I usually get out my laptop and work! I’m working on a few different collab products, plus I have my influencer business and Move With Linds, so I go back and forth between all of my to-do lists!
- Personal Time! Make sure you schedule time for yourself throughout your day. Whether it’s working out, reading, going for a walk, etc., make sure you schedule your time! I give myself my morning for “me time,” but I also love to schedule either a nail appointment, massage, facial, or lunch with my friends every week. It’s nice to treat yourself every week, and it’s also something to look forward to. I normally schedule this during lunchtime or in the early evening when Sam gets home to watch Sage as I have some time to myself.
- Lunchtime! I normally meal prep on either Sunday or Monday! This keeps my nutrition on track, and whenever I’m hungry, I reach for my healthy prepared snacks vs. a sugary treat or chips. Meal prepping can be a hassle, but it’s also a game-changer and will help you on your health and wellness journey. For lunch, I usually make a protein-packed salad or wrap. I try not to overload on carbs because it makes me really tired, so I prefer to eat more greens and proteins. This will keep you full longer and won’t give you a sugar crash around that 3 PM slump where all you want is cake – or maybe that’s just me, haha!
- Light walk with Sage and Moose or stretch session during Sage’s nap. If you’re sitting at your desk all day or not really on your feet, make it a priority to get up and move. Even if you worked out in the morning, I still love to go for a walk outside for 30 minutes or play some music and do a mini flow with stretches while Sage naps. I know you think you don’t have time, but you do! Go for a walk while you’re on a conference call, or do some stretches while you’re finishing up an email. I try to do it screen-free, so I give my mind a rest and really unplug before I get back to it, but there are days when I need to be on a call on my walk, and that’s fine too!
- Prepare for the next day. I like to schedule what I didn’t get to and what needs to get done the following day. This keeps me very organized, so I don’t feel frazzled when I wake up. Try making a list each night and “studying” it so you get in the right headspace for what you have to do the next day. This also allows me to schedule my workouts and me time so I don’t push them off.
- Cook a healthy dinner. Each week I try to pick 2-3 healthy recipes to make for dinner. Again, this is usually all planned on Monday, so when it comes time for dinner, we aren’t reaching for junk or ordering fast food! A lot of what goes into staying on top of your health and wellness goals and having an efficient routine is planning. It can be time-consuming, but it’s worth it when you are starving at dinner time!
- Take a bath. After a long day, I love to take a bath – sometimes with Sage! I light some candles, apply a face mask, and put on some soothing tunes. If I’m reading a good book, I’ll do that, too! This is the best end to my day. It calms me down and is a little reward.
- Guided sleep meditation. I love listening to sleep mediation to help put my mind to sleep. I have a hard time getting to bed at times, and sleep is so important for your overall health and wellness, so make sure you are putting your phone down and allowing yourself at least 6-8 hours of sleep each night.
Let me know what your weekly health & wellness routine looks like below!